Friday, July 19, 2013

Automation Systems

I chose SirsiDynix because Missoula schools are now on the Montana Shared Catalog and that is the automated system that they use.  I have used this system while substituting, so I am familiar with the circulation portion of the system.  The following description came from their website.  Out of the box, SirsiDynix Symphony offers powerful tools to support day-to-day operations, including circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, serials, academic reserves, outreach and media booking.  Last year SirsiDynix was the largest selling automation software provider.  They are promoting a new option that allows for collection management of e-materials that are circulated.  The Automation Marketplace article states that eight library systems have already purchased this program even though it is not yet available.  

As for recommending that a T/L look more into this software I would say yes.  It is a fully functional software automation package.  However, if your library is part of the Montana Shared Catalog you don't have a choice, but the nice thing is that the cost is split among all participating libraries based on collection size and number of patrons. 

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware school libraries were part of the Montana Shared Catalog. What great resources for students and staff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true -- there just isn't any choice in the matter for those of you on the shared catalog, but that is a state contract and like all state contracts it has to be regularly reconsidered and renewed. I think the rule is every 3 years. They just finished looking at other companies and decided to go with sirsi dynix again, but I bet they'll be room on that committee for anybody who'd like to be a part of the RFP process next time around. It would be an interesting committee to serve on. RFP stands for Requests for Proposal -- they put out a call for proposals for any ILS to make them an offer and I understand that they get a number of offers.

    ReplyDelete

Date and Time